Main research areas of IFK are
- the combustion and gasification of solid fuels,
- the development of technologies for centralized and decentralized energy conversion,
- issues of ambient air quality, distribution of air pollutants in the atmosphere and immission reduction,
- simulation of firing systems and of power plant unit commitment and
- simulation and automatic control of the dynamic behavior of thermal power plants and of the interconnected power system
Furthermore, several pilot scale and semi-industrial experimental facilities are operated by IFK, with research activities devoted to
- advanced power plant concepts for the energetic use of fossil fuels, waste, residues and biomasses,
- and on processes for flue gas treatment and CO2 sequestration.
More Information about research projects performed at the various facilities can be found on the respective pages of the departments.
Günter ScheffknechtUniv.-Prof. Dr. techn.
Dean of the Faculty and Director of the Institute
Professor of Thermal Power Plant Technology
Uwe SchnellApl. Prof. Dr.-Ing.
Head of Department Combustion and Steam Boiler Simulation (FDS)