Main research areas of IFK are
- the combustion and gasification of solid fuels,
- the development of technologies for centralized and decentralized energy conversion,
- issues of ambient air quality, distribution of air pollutants in the atmosphere and immission reduction,
- simulation of firing systems and of power plant unit commitment and
- simulation and automatic control of the dynamic behavior of thermal power plants and of the interconnected power system
Furthermore, several pilot scale and semi-industrial experimental facilities are operated by IFK, with research activities devoted to
- advanced power plant concepts for the energetic use of fossil fuels, waste, residues and biomasses,
- and on processes for flue gas treatment and CO2 sequestration.
More Information about research projects performed at the various facilities can be found on the respective pages of the departments.